Close a road

Close a road

Children playing on the road with a road closure sign.
If you're thinking of having a street party (or a Big Lunch!) and you want to close the road, it’s best to make enquiries with your council as soon as possible.

You can hold a street-party-style event on any patch of land or in any building such as a communal, private or pub garden; a local park; driveway; school playground; church; mosque; synagogue; gurdwara or temple — wherever you want, as long as you have the relevant permission from the owner.

If you want to close your street, here's how to make it happen.

​Contact your local council

It’s best to do this as early as possible as some councils require up to 12 weeks’ notice.

​Further advice

The Street Party Site has lots of advice on road closures.

Contact us

If you run into any difficulties, just contact us and we'll be more than happy to help.

Host in another space

If closing your road is just proving too tricky, consider hosting your event in another area. Ask people in your community what venues they know of, someone might just surprise you with the perfect location idea. Finding an indoor venue doesn't need to cost money either; explain your situation to venue owners — they may be happy to 'support local'. Otherwise find a communal outdoor space - you'll attract more people when there are no boundaries to cross, and everyone can see what fun you're having!

If you're after support in getting your event off the ground, see our tips for increasing your sphere of influence.