We're giving away £3000 worth of prizes to young people making a positive difference in their community! Tell us what you'd buy to help build community spirit and be in to win!
What’s this competition all about?
Belfast Harbour and Eden Project Communities have teamed up and are asking young people across Northern Ireland to show “Youth” got Community Spirit!
If you’re aged 8–18, this exciting competition not only celebrates community spirit but gives you, community groups and organisations an opportunity to win awesome prizes that will help you bring people together for fun, food and friendship as part of this year’s Big Lunch.
You’ll be in with the chance to win from a prize pot of £3,000 worth of reusable materials to help you grow community spirit and activities.
Who’s running it?
The Big Lunch (an Eden Project Communities initiative) and Belfast Harbour have teamed up to give young people a chance to make positive change where they live. Many young people are passionate about doing their bit to help make a difference — from reducing loneliness to helping stop climate change — and here in Northern Ireland we know that we’re better equipped to tackle challenges when we face them together.
So, who can enter?
Any organisational group or school can team up with young people from 8–18 yrs to enter the competition.
All you have to do is send in a short video message of no more than 3 minutes long. It must include the voice of the young person/people and outline what simple thing(s) you would like to do together to encourage community spirit where you live.
Your video doesn’t need to be super snazzy. You can even make it on a phone. Just upload it with the application form below.
As part of the competition, winners will then host a simple get-together in their community on the weekend of 16–18 June to bring people together locally, using the opportunity to share plans.
What’s up for grabs?
We’re awarding 4 entrants with £500 to spend on reusable materials which can be used in community spirited activity. A further 5 entrants will receive £200 to spend in the same way.
The fine print
To take part:
- Simply record a video message on your phone of no more than 3 minutes. The video should include where you are and what you want to do.
- You can enter as one young person or as a group but each person or group can enter only once.
- Your video must explain what it is you want to do and what you would buy with £500 or £200 to help you do it. The thing you buy must have a reusable purpose. Note: you can buy materials to build something or buy an item that you can reuse.
- Your idea must in some way support improving community spirit locally, and you must commit to invite a range of ages from your area to share in the activity. Winners must use their prize items by September 2017 in a community spirit building activity.
- Anyone in the film clip must know they are in it and must have given consent to appear in it (see our film and photography consent form).
- The clip must be sent by email to gmccloskey@EdenProject.com by a guardian over 21 (a parent; group leader; school, church or charity volunteer etc.) who must include the name(s) of the young person/people entering and their own contact details. By submitting an entry, the guardian is confirming that they will support the delivery of the winners’ project.
- In your email application you need to outline how you would spend the money.
- Register your participation in The Big Lunch 2017 here >.
- Offensive or inappropriate images, or language will not be accepted.
- All emails must be received by midnight on May 24 2017. Any entries received afterwards will not be considered.
- The organisers — The Big Lunch and Belfast Harbour — will not accept responsibility for any late submissions, any entries that are not received or any entries or files that are corrupt, damaged, lost or inaccessible.
- The organisers will judge the videos based on their interpretation of community spirit and idea quality, and their decision is final.
Download and fill in the application form below and send your completed form and video to gmccloskey@EdenProject.com by midnight May 24 2017.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before submitting an application.