Sam Nixon's Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake
Deliciously simple and perfect for individual portions wrapped up and ready to share!
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Granulated sugar (to sprinkle on top)
For the syrup
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
1. Pre heat oven to 160 degrees (fan) and line an 8 inch baking tin with grease proof paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add and mix in the eggs one at a time.
3. Stir in the flour then add the milk, salt and lemon zest. Pour mixture into your cake tin and bake for 40 minutes. Check it is cooked by putting a skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean you are good to go!
4. Once the cake has cooled, you can tip it out of the tin and using a skewer or sharp knife, make little holes all over the surface of the cake.
5. For the syrup, put the lemon juice and sugar in a pan and boil until you get a clear syrup. Now carefully pour this over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
6. Cut into portions, and enjoy!