The Ultimate Hot Dog by Tom Kerridge
"These hot dogs are based on everyone’s favourite Christmas side: pigs in blankets. Like Christmas trees, hot dogs are thought to originate in Germany, so I’ve added a bit of curry powder, German mustard and Bavarian cheese as a nod to that. Great to cook outside on a cold day!"
Barbeque Burnt Onions:
- 2 large onions, finely sliced 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Pigs in Blankets:
- 4 jumbo sausages
- 2 heaped tsp mild curry powder
- 12 rashers of streaky bacon
German Mustard Mayo:
- 100g thick mayonnaise
- 40g German mustard
- 3 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 10 cornichons, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 long hot dog rolls
- 8 thick slices of smoked Bavarian cheese
- 8 large slices of dill pickle
- A bunch of spring onions, green part only, finely sliced
Stir well and cook for about 20 minutes until softened, dark and caramelised.
Season with the curry powder, trying to get an even coating all over the sausages. Wrap each one in bacon, using 3 rashers per sausage,
While they are on the barbecue, mix the German mustard mayo ingredients together in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste; set aside until needed.
Transfer the hot dogs to plates and spoon on the German mayo. Scatter over the spring onions for freshness and serve.
Many thanks again to Tom Kerridge for sharing this delicious recipe.
Recipe from Tom Kerridge’s Outdoor Cooking (Bloomsbury Absolute)
Photography © Cristian Barnett