Pancakes with stewed apple and blackberry jam
Have a go at making these tasty pancakes, perfect for any day but particularly awesome to start the weekend!
For the pancake mix:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Butter to melt in the heated pan
For the stewed apple filling:
- Soft brown sugar
- Vanilla essence
For the jam:
- Jam sugar (with added pectin). Use 2/3 of the amount of sugar to fruit
- Lemon juice
- Natural yoghurt
Mix and whisk the pancake ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Heat the frying pan and melt the butter.
Pour in a ladle-full of pancake batter.
When the middle rises, turn over or flip and cook the other side.
Place the finished pancakes onto a plate and keep warm.
To stew the apples:
- Peel and chop the apples
- Put into a pan with a stick of cinnamon and a cap full of vanilla essence
- Cover with brown sugar, using approximately ¼ of the amount of sugar to apples, and some water
- Stew for 10-15 minutes over a medium heat
For the blackberry Jam:
- Put the blackberries in a pan
- Add jam sugar (which has added pectin). Use approximately 2/3 of the amount of sugar to blackberries
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat over a medium heat until it sets, for about 10-20 minutes
- Test that the jam is set by placing a plate in the fridge until it is cold. Then put on a spoonful of jam on the plate.
- Move the jam with your finger.
- If it wrinkles, it is set and ready to come off the heat
- Place several spoonfuls of stewed apple into the middle of each pancake and role
- Place them into a dish
- Cover with the blackberry jam and garnish with natural yoghurt and edible, foraged flowers. Enjoy!