Manon Lagreve’s French Yogurt Cake
Le Gateau au yaourt (or French yogurt cake) is probably the cake I have baked the most in my life. Every mum in France has made this cake. It’s so simple and is really quick to make.
- 3 “yogurt pots” of plain flour
- 2 *125ml plain yogurt
- 2 “yogurt pots” of caster sugar
- 1 “yogurt pot” of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of rose water
- 1 pinch of salt
- For the chocolate topping
- 100g of dark chocolate
- 50g of salted butter
1. Make the French yogurt cake: Empty the yogurts and clean one pot to reuse. Then measure 2 pots of sugar and add the eggs. Use a whisk to mix well. Then add the 1 pot of vegetable oil and mix. Finish the batter with the 3 pots of flour, baking powder,
2. Finish the batter with the 3 pots of flour, baking powder, rose water and the pinch of salt. Pre heat the oven at 180C Fan oven.
3. Bake the French yogurt cake: Grease your tin with butter and sprinkle some flour on top. Pour the batter inside the greased tin and cook for 35 to 40 minutes
Don’t hesitate to gently cover the cake with tin foil if you see it starts to look to brown after 20 minutes.
4. Leave the French yogurt cake to cool down fully before coating it. Melt the butter with the chocolate and simply pour over the cooled yogurt cake. Decorate with fresh flowers of crystallised flowers. Et voilà!