Get insured

Get insured

Two women in front of a community shop.
Here's our quick guide to the different kinds of insurance that your community might consider to provide coverage for your project.

Please note that this is provided on a strictly information-only basis and does not in any way constitute advice.

​Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance covers against accidental injuries to third parties (other people) and damage to property.

The type of risks that a policy may cover will vary depending on the insurer and the policy you take out. This information is just a guide; for advice on insurance you should contact an insurance broker or insurance company. Should you decide to purchase an insurance policy we recommend that you check your quotes and policies before you sign anything.

Example of risks that can be covered:

  • Your volunteers
  • Other people’s property
  • Other people
  • Legal or other costs arising from any of the above.

It doesn’t usually cover:

  • Any employees you have if you run a community organisation (or any other kind of organisation). This is often covered by employers’ liability insurance.
  • Accidental injury which isn’t due to negligence on the part of your organisation.

What it covers can vary depending on whether you are a group of individuals or a group operating as a legally recognised organisation (that could be a CIC, limited company, or a charity). Contact a specialist insurance company for further information.

If you are unsure whether you need insurance or not, it can be useful to carry out a simple risk assessment, which will help you identify and assess the risks involved at your event. Download our sample risk assessment form here: 

Costs of public liability insurance are likely to vary depending on the activity covered, the number of people and other factors. An insurance company will be able to advise you on coverage.

​Employers’ liability insurance

If your community group has legal status — in other words, it is a limited company, CIC, charity, or other form of legally recognised entity, with employees (not just volunteers) then you may need employers’ liability insurance as well. Get in touch with an insurance company for more information.

Will we need other licences?

Our friends at The Big Lottery Fund know a thing or two about community events, so pop on over to their guide to managing events safely for more information about food safety, selling alcohol and risk assessment .

If you're looking for cover for your Big Lunch, we can help! 

We've been working with Creative Risk Solutions to arrange specialist insurance for Big Lunches at special rates. Get you Big Lunch insurance, here!