Our Community Camps are residential experiences held at the Eden Project in Cornwall, offering a mixture of practical activities, workshop sessions and networking opportunity.
The Camps are for people across the UK who want to start a community project or are already doing something and want to take the next step. They are suitable for people who are just starting out on their journey, or those who are more experienced but keen to learn from and share with others.
Each of our events is unique — we make them as relevant as possible to the people coming. Over 1,500 people have enjoyed and been inspired by an Eden Community Camp so far!
It was such an amazing experience. The drive and passion for what I do has returned, my spring is back! (Community Camp attendee, 2018)
- Friday 20 to Monday 23 September 2019
- Friday 22 to Monday 25 November 2019
To apply for a free place, complete our online application form, or contact your local Community Network Developer for further information about applying, including ways we can support you (eg large print application form, telephone application etc).
A typical Camp includes...
- Focused workshops: Select from a menu of different themes to tailor your experience. These could include topics such as financing your project, spreading the word through social media, or a ‘how to’ on rejuvenating green spaces.
- Practical activities: A selection of taster sessions offering ideas on how to best engage with the people in your own neighbourhood.
- Networking: An opportunity to meet like-minded people, establish new useful connections and get a different perspective on things — whether it's through one of our workshops or over a cuppa.
- Practical resources: You’ll come away with a set of useful materials that will help support you once you’re back in your community.
- Social activities: There’ll be plenty of chances to enjoy a delicious meal and chat with others in the same boat. During your free time you can also explore Eden in all its wonder.
- On-site accommodation: You’ll stay onsite in the YHA Snoozeboxes — made from shipping containers!
- Delicious food: All meals will be provided during your residential stay — plus plenty of tea and cake!
So far, 94% of people who’ve come to a Community Camp have gone on to do something in their communities using skills or information they’ve learnt at Camp. You can read about some of them here!
Community Camps are aimed at people who want to do something more in their community.
Accepting a funded place means making a commitment to go on to use what you’ve gained at Camp, so as part of our funding requirements, we need to follow up with everyone to find out how they're getting on, what they've been up to and what it is they're doing in their communities.
We may also invite you to attend regional events, and to complete surveys to help us improve.
Community Camps are held at the Eden Project in Cornwall. The cost of travel and accommodation is included for successful applicants.
We are committed to being inclusive. Please talk to us about any special requirements you may have and we will do our best to support you. An accessibility guide to the Eden Project is here and for YHA Eden Project is here.
Camps are specifically for the benefit of community members, and unfortunately we're unable to allocate funded places to professionals, to people who are paid to support a community and its members.