Whether you’re an individual, community organisation, local group or business this little guide is jam-packed with tips and ideas to help you – tuck in!
Use More Human’s free, time-saving tool to promote your event in a few clicks!
You can also attend a workshop or 1:1 session for practical help from More Human’s team of event experts.
These cost-effective, crowd-pleasing recipes will go down a treat at your Big Lunch at Christmas get-together. Each recipe serves plenty and includes time and energy saving hacks, plus delicious vegan and gluten-free options too.
Print and cut out the flags, and get your hands on some cocktail sticks so you can make them up ahead of the day. Use the blank side to write the name of each dish and try to include any allergens or ‘free-from’ ingredient information.
DIY crackers are an easy free activity with bits and pieces from around the home and you can customise them however you like. It's a perfect fun festive craft that’ll add a little extra to your Big Lunch table!
Community warm spaces
Warm spaces are places where people can gather for free in a warm, safe, welcoming place and maybe enjoy a hot drink and some company. The Big Lunch at Christmas is a perfect seasonal event to hold in your community warm hub - share some mince pies and mulled wine, sing carols or play some games.
Sign up for our newsletter
We'd love to connect with you and share tips, advice and inspiration on all things community. We’ll send you a monthly round-up of our top advice, activities, recipes and stories from our amazing community organisers.
Start organising your Big Lunch with More Human
Our friends at More Human are here to help you organise your Big Lunch at Christmas. They’ll be running online sessions to inspire and support you as you create, promote and host a brilliant get-together with minimal faff and maximum fun. You can also use their free easy-to-use tool to build your Big Lunch in just 5 minutes.
What is The Big Lunch?
Every June, The Big Lunch brings millions of people together to share friendship, food and fun for the UK’s annual celebration for neighbours and communities. It’s a simple idea that has a lasting positive impact on those who participate, this year we’re encouraging people to join in with The Big Lunch at Christmas too, to celebrate our connections and keep our communities cosy.
Inspiration for your Big Lunch at Christmas
We know that the festive season can be a busy time for many people. Your Big Lunch doesn't need to be a huge meal with all the trimmings - it could be as simple as sharing a cup of tea and some mince pies with your neighbours. Here are some of our favourite ideas.
- Ask people in your community to bring their favourite festive dish and share them together - a great way to discover new culinary delights
- Create warm spaces for your community – bring people in from the cold for a cuppa and a conversation.
- Be a secret Santa and leave tasty treats on doorsteps or on desks at work – perhaps chocolates, candy canes, or homemade cookies
- Host drop-in drinks – share an invitation and get together over mulled apple juice or hot chocolate and a few festive snacks
- If you've not got indoor space to host, why not organise a walk to see your local Christmas lights or tree (or living advent calendar), and stop for a coffee or drink afterwards?