Levi Roots' Caribbean Stew
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250g cooked black eye beans
- 3 celery sticks, plus leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Caribbean seasoning
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onion, carrot, and celery for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until they begin to soften.
Add the sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, and vegetable stock. Bring to a steady simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes, add the black eye beans and season the soup with the Caribbean seasoning. Cook for a further 10 minutes and serve.