Ken Hom’s Chicken with Black Bean Sauce
- 450 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons groundnut (peanut) oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1½ tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 3½ tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
- 2½ tablespoons coarsely chopped salted black beans
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) chicken stock
Cut the chicken into 5 cm (2 inch) chunks and place in a bowl. Mix with the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, salt, sugar, sesame oil and cornflour.
Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the groundnut oil. When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic, shallots, 1½ tablespoons of the spring onions and the black beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the stock, bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Garnish with the remaining spring onions and serve.
This delicious recipe is from Ken Hom’s 100 Quick Stir Fry Recipes.