Insurance for your Big Lunch

Insurance for your Big Lunch

Getting insured

If you’re closing a road for your Big Lunch or seeking a local authority licence it’s very likely you’ll need to arrange Public Liability cover. Even if insurance isn’t required, you might like to think about getting cover. Although it’s unlikely that something will go wrong, it will be easier to have fun if you know you’re covered.

A special deal for The Big Lunch

We’ve been working with Creative Risk Solutions to help make purchasing insurance easy and stress-free. They have arranged specialist insurance just for Big Lunch events at special rates, starting at just £28. Check out the link at the bottom of the page for more details.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance covers against accidental injuries to third parties (other people) and damage to property.

The type of risks that a policy may cover will vary depending on the insurer and the policy you take out. Our special Big Lunch insurance policy covers the running of your Big Lunch, including setting up tables and chairs etc. The policy can be flexible as well depending on your event and can vary depending on if you are a group of individuals or a group operating as a legally recognised organisation (that could be a CIC, limited company, or a charity).

As every Big Lunch or project is different, if you decide to purchase public liability insurance, it’s definitely worth checking your quote and policy to make sure it covers everything you need it to before you sign.

If you’re unsure whether you need insurance or not, it can be useful to carry out a simple risk assessment, which will help you identify and assess the risks involved at your event. Download our sample risk assessment form here: 

General Risk Assessment Sample Form Eden Project Communities.doc

General Risk Assessment Sample Form Eden Project Communities.doc[JH1] 

Costs of public liability insurance are likely to vary depending on the activity covered, the number of people and other factors.

Employers’ liability insurance

If your community group has legal status — in other words, it is a limited company, CIC (community interest company), charity, or other form of legally recognised entity, with employees (not just volunteers) then you may need employers’ liability insurance as well.

Hired in equipment insurance

If you plan on hiring equipment for your Big Lunch such as chairs, pop-up gazebos or sound equipment, hire companies will require proof of insurance. You can purchase hired in insurance for this.

Will we need other licences?

One-off events like street parties aren't usually considered food businesses, so there are no forms to fill in and you don't need a licence.  If you want to hold a BBQ or cook outside, set it up in a safe place where one person can be in charge.

If you are planning to sell alcohol at your event you may need a Temporary Events Notice, ask your council for advice on this.

You do not need a music licence at a community event unless amplified music is one of the main purposes and it has been promoted in this way.

A special deal for The Big Lunch!

We’ve been working with Creative Risk Solutions to help make purchasing insurance easy and stress-free. They have arranged specialist insurance just for Big Lunch events at special rates, starting at just £28. Cover is also available for hired in equipment and other add-ons too if you need them.

Arranging your insurance cover is super easy, simply click here and fill in some details about your Big Lunch. If you have any questions or want to chat through insurance options, speak to Julie on 029 2082 2611.

*Please note that this is provided on a strictly information-only basis and does not in any way constitute advice.