How to make advent calendar or festive bunting
As with all community projects, it's about so much more than the crafting only. It's where conversations are shared, problems are lightened, skills are exchanged and confidence is grown. Oh and the most delicious homemade cakes are eaten! They were making advent bunting the day that Sam visited, and this is the recipe they left her with so you can create your own too. If it's too late for advent, string your bunting up over the festive period and put little gifts or riddles in the pockets for guests who come to visit.
What you will need
- Something to hang your bunting pieces from such as rope/bias binding/ribbon/string
- Christmas-themed fabric or felt – patterned or plain colours, enough for 24 double sided shapes (extra for numbers)
- Sharp scissors
- Something to stick or sew it all together e.g embroidery thread, fabric glue, cotton, wonder web
- Any embellishments such as beads or buttons
- Sewing machine (optional)
First things first, find your inspiration!
Whether that’s fabric glue, machine stitching, blanket stitching by hand or wonder web, go for it!
Take care not to stitch the top of your pocket, this is where your advent treat will pop in! Then, turn the pocket back the right way. If you’re doing it the non-machine way, stick all of your elements together however it works best.