How to break the ice
Once you've got your group of volunteers together, here's how to break the ice:
Grab enough pens and small pieces of paper for each person in your group.
Simply ask everyone to list down two things that are true about themselves and one thing that isn't true — a lie. Don't make it an obvious lie — and pick interesting truths to keep people guessing, while giving them fodder to strike up a conversation after, e.g.
- My birthday is on Christmas Day
- There have only been females born in my family for four generations
- I once sat next to Johnny Depp on a flight from London to New York
- I'm named after a famous book character but I've never read the book
- I have a phobia of bananas
- I have webbed toes
Then ask them to show their paper to someone else in the group and ask them to try and guess which statement is the lie — encourage the group to have conversations and ask questions.
Once they have guessed, they can then try and guess the other person's lie.
Repeat the process for the whole group — until everyone is in stitches!