Alice Fevronia's Tomato, Spinach & Feta Tart
Easy and delicious, Alice's tomato, spinach and feta tart is the perfect dish to make for your Big Lunch.
For the pastry:
- 110g self raising flour
- 55g grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- 70g very cold butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp beaten egg
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- half an onion chopped
- 150g baby spinach
- 60g feta
- 3 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 180ml double cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g baby tomatoes
1. In a food processor, blitz the butter, flour, cheese, paprika, salt and pepper until it forms a bread crumb consistency.
2. Add the 2 tbsp beaten egg and blitz JUST enough for the dough to come together. You should be able to squeeze it together in your hands to form a ball.
3. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for around 30 minutes. Pre-heat your oven to 190C fan
5. When the pastry has chilled, roll the pastry out to about 4mm thick in a circle, big enough to line your tin with. I used a 7 inch case, but a 8 inch would still work with this amount of pastry!
6. Grease the tin, and then roll the pastry on top, gently pressing down into all of the groves.
7. Trim the excess pastry and prick the bottom with a fork. Blind bake the pastry with baking beans or equivalent for 15-20 minutes.
9. Remove the baking beans and bake for a further 10 minutes until the bottom is nicely golden.
8. To make the filling, in a pan, fry the onion and garlic with oil, and then add the spinach until it has all wilted. Let it cool a little bit and then transfer into the pastry case. Sprinkle the crumbled feta on top.
9. Whisk the eggs and cream with some salt and pepper, and carefully pour on top of the spinach and feta until it nearly reaches the top of the pastry. You don't want to fill it too much or it will overflow when you add the tomatoes!
10. Slice your tomatoes in half and carefully place on top of the mixture. Bake on 180C fan for 35-40 minutes, ensuring it has cooked right through the middle. Leave to cool slightly, remove from the tin, garnish with basil and serve and enjoy!